How the Pandemic Continues to Shape Medicaid Priorities: Results from an Annual Medicaid Budget Survey for State Fiscal Years 2022 and 2023
This annual Medicaid budget survey report highlights certain policies in place in state Medicaid programs in state fiscal year (FY) 2022 and policy changes implemented or planned for FY 2023. The findings are drawn from the 22nd annual budget survey of Medicaid officials conducted by the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) and Health Management Associates (HMA), in collaboration with the National Association of Medicaid Directors (NAMD).
Medicaid budget survey reports from prior years are available in our archives.
- A news release announcing the publication of the 2022 Medicaid Budget Survey is available.
- The Executive Summary provides an overview of the 2022 survey results and is available under the Executive Summary tab.
- The complete 2022 Medicaid Budget Survey Report is available under the Report tab. The Report tab contains 8 separate sections. Users can view each section separately or download a full Report PDF from the right side of the page.
SPENDING & ENROLLMENT BRIEF
- This companion issue brief provides an overview of Medicaid spending and enrollment growth with a focus on FY 2022 and FY 2023.
- A recording of an October 25 web briefing highlighting key findings from the 2022 report will be available.
- Additional briefs using 2022 Medicaid budget survey data are forthcoming and will be linked here once published. Topics for future briefs will include social determinants of health, health equity, health care workforce strategies, managed care policy, and integrated care for dual eligibles.
BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SUPPLEMENTAL SURVEY
- In 2022, KFF and HMA also fielded a survey on Medicaid behavioral health benefits and other policy. Results from this supplemental survey will be published in a forthcoming series of briefs and linked here.