New & Noteworthy
- Trust FUndThe Medicare Hospital Insurance (HI) trust fund is projected to be depleted in 2026. The projected deficit amounts to $517 billion between 2026 and 2031. Our FAQs answer key questions about Medicare financing and trust fund solvency. In the 30 years prior to 2021, the trust fund has come within five years of depletion only twice – in 1996 and 1997. To date, Congress has never allowed the trust fund to be fully depleted.
- Health costs
Limiting Private Insurance Reimbursement to Medicare Rates Would Reduce Health Spending by About $350 Billion in 2021Total health care spending for people with private health insurance would be an estimated $352 billion lower in 2021 if private insurers used Medicare rates to pay hospitals and other health care providers, rather than the substantially higher rates they currently pay, our analysis finds.
- Part D Medicare covers more than 60 million Americans, but gaps in coverage and high cost-sharing requirements can make health care difficult to afford. We examined policy options to make Medicare more affordable, including the likely cost & how many people would be helped.
- TelehealthJust over 1 in 4 Medicare beneficiaries had a telehealth visit with a doctor or other health professional between the summer and fall of 2020. Once limited to beneficiaries in rural areas, coverage of telehealth services by traditional Medicare has undergone rapid expansion during the pandemic. More limited availability would return when the public health emergency ends without a rules change.
Cost-Related Problems Are Higher Among Privately-Insured Adults 50 to 64 than Medicare-Covered Adults 65 and OlderA somewhat larger share of privately-insured adults ages 50 to 64 (16%) than Medicare-covered adults ages 65+ (11%) report having cost-related problems, defined as delaying or forgoing medical care due to costs or having problems paying medical bills.
of Medicare Advantage enrollees are in plans operated by UnitedHealthcare, Humana, or BlueCross BlueShield affiliates in 2019. (2019 Issue Brief)
of new Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Advantage plans during their first year on Medicare in 2016. (2019 Issue Brief)
of all Medicare beneficiaries (22 million people) are enrolled in Medicare Advantage plans. (2019 Issue Brief)
of the 22 million Medicare Advantage enrollees in 2019 are in in HMOs, with the rest in local or regional PPOs. (2019 Fact Sheet)
- BasicsMedicare plays a key role in providing health care and financial security to more than 60 million older people and younger people with disabilities.
- Supplemental CoverageThis data note explores sources of coverage among beneficiaries in Medicare and the demographic characteristics of people with different types of coverage, based on data from the 2018 Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey.
- DisparitiesThis chart collection examines the characteristics, experiences, and outcomes of the Medicare population by race and ethnicity. It includes data to describe demographics, health status and disease prevalence, health coverage, access to care and service utilization, and health outcomes, including data pertaining to disparities related to COVID-19.
- medicare part d
- quizTake this quiz to find out how much you know about Medicare, the people it serves, the benefits it covers, and its financial status.