- Medicare Advantage
The drop in health care utilization during the coronavirus pandemic has contributed to higher gross margins and lower medical loss among many private insurance plans. Findings suggest that health insurers in most markets have become more profitable during the pandemic.
Medicare’s Finances Have Gotten Much Worse in Recent Years, Foreshadowing Tough Choices for November’s WinnersThis Policy Watch post discusses the latest Medicare Hospital Insurance trust fund solvency projections, which show the extent to which the COVID-19 pandemic has hurt Medicare’s financial outlook, and foreshadow the tough choices facing the next President and Congress.
- Part D Medicare covers more than 60 million Americans, but gaps in coverage and high cost-sharing requirements can make health care difficult to afford. We examined policy options to make Medicare more affordable, including the likely cost & how many people would be helped.
- income & AssetsIncome and wealth inequality persists across generations, adversely affecting people in communities of color at all ages. Older Black and Hispanic adults face their retirement years with less financial security and fewer resources to absorb the financial shock of a major health expense compared to older White adults.
- Racial DisparitiesThis chart collection examines the characteristics, experiences, and outcomes of the Medicare population by race and ethnicity. It includes data to describe demographics, health status and disease prevalence, health coverage, access to care and service utilization, and health outcomes, including data pertaining to disparities related to COVID-19.
- BasicsMedicare plays a key role in providing health care and financial security to more than 60 million older people and younger people with disabilities.
- federal budgetMedicare spending was 15 percent of total federal spending in 2018. Benefit payments totaled $731 billion that year.
- income and assetsHalf of all Medicare beneficiaries had incomes below $26,200 per person in 2016 and savings below $74,450.
- medicare part d
- quizTake this quiz to find out how much you know about Medicare, the people it serves, the benefits it covers, and its financial status.