- All 38 plans tested included a stand-alone question about HIV status.
- All 38 plans denied coverage to people with HIV.
People with HIV cannot be denied or charged more for health insurance. Explore coverage options in your state and learn more about paying for PrEP in the ACA marketplace.
- As the opioid epidemic persists, concerns regarding HIV transmission have grown.
- Learn more about these dual epidemics.
In 2016, the rate of new HIV diagnoses per 100,000 among blacks in the U.S. was nearly 8 times that of whites.
62% of people with HIV
have expanded their Medicaid programs
- Who ADAPs serve
- Their national budget
- Drugs covered
- Cost-containment measures & more
HIV and the Medicaid and Medicare Programs
Medicaid is a key tool in curbing the HIV epidemic, providing coverage to many with HIV and increasing states’ capacity for treatment.