- All 38 plans tested included a stand-alone question about HIV status.
- All 38 plans denied coverage to people with HIV.
- As the opioid epidemic persists, concerns regarding HIV transmission have grown.
- Learn more about these dual epidemics.
In 2016, the rate of new HIV diagnoses per 100,000 among blacks in the U.S. was nearly 8 times that of whites.
62% of people with HIV
have expanded their Medicaid programs
- Who ADAPs serve
- Their national budget
- Drugs covered
- Cost-containment measures & more
HIV and the Medicaid and Medicare Programs
Medicaid is a key tool in curbing the HIV epidemic, providing coverage to many with HIV and increasing states’ capacity for treatment.