This KFF analysis finds that expanding ACA premium subsidies like Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden has proposed would lower the cost of Marketplace coverage for nearly all potential enrollees, including the uninsured and others currently priced out of the Marketplace. Biden’s plan would, however, increase federal spending, which we do not attempt to estimate here.
- ConsolidationRevenue losses during the pandemic could intensify the trend toward consolidation among health care providers, in spite of federal financial assistance. We review the existing research on the impact of consolidation on health care costs and quality.
- Drug ImportationThe idea of allowing drugs to be imported from Canada and other countries is popular with Americans across the political spectrum, but has yet to be implemented due to concerns about safety, and strong opposition from the drug industry.
- POLLINGThis data note compiles our recent polling on the public’s experiences with and worries about health care costs,.
- interactiveExplore up-to-date information on U.S. health spending by federal and local governments, private companies, and individuals.
- health CostsThis analysis finds that people with employer coverage receive surprise medical bills more often when admitted for certain conditions, including heart attacks, surgery (including mastectomies) and mental health or substance abuse treatment.
- INTERACTIVEThis interactive tool highlights how much Americans spend on health based on family size, income level, insurance source, and health status.
- National SpendingThis analysis explores variations in health spending and finds that the 5% of Americans with the highest spending account for almost half of all spending.