A Look at the Private Option in Arkansas
Appendix A: Interview Guide
High Level Questions
- Please describe your role in designing/implementing/monitoring the private option.
- In general, what has been the impact of the private option on key stakeholders?
- What do you consider the key successes and challenges of the design and implementation of the private option?
Overall Impact of Private Option on Consumers
- In general, how are the consumers who gained coverage through the private option faring?
- How well do consumers understand the private option?
Eligibility and Enrollment
- How well is the eligibility and enrollment process working for consumers?
- How do private option consumers fare at renewal? What is working well and what needs to be improved?
- How well is the process for identifying medically frail individuals working?
- In general, what have been the major implementation and operational challenges that the state has faced?
- How have the Medicaid agency and Arkansas Insurance Department worked together to implement the private option?
Implications for the Marketplace
- How has the private option affected the Marketplace?
- How have issuers reacted to inclusion of newly eligible adults in Marketplace plans?
- What do you see as the major financing opportunities/challenges created by the private option?
- What has been the impact of the recent report on the state savings generated by the private option?
Future of the Private Option
- In general, what are your thoughts on the future of the private option?
- Process, structure, expected outcomes from new commission for post-2016? What recommendations are being put forward?
- What do you think of the strategies in place for evaluating the private option?
- If you were speaking to another state that was considering a Marketplace premium assistance approach, what advice would you give?