South Korea Reports 18 MERS Cases In Outbreak; China Seeks 13 People Who Had Contact With Country’s First Case
Agence France-Presse: South Korean health chief apologizes over MERS outbreak
“South Korea’s health minister apologized on Sunday for failing to halt an outbreak of the MERS virus, vowing ‘utmost efforts’ to curb the disease’s spread…” (5/31).
Agence France-Presse: China confirms ’77 people had contact with MERS patient’
“China is searching for 13 people who came into contact with the first person to enter the country with the MERS virus, health officials said, adding that 64 had already been quarantined. Eleven people who travelled on a bus with a 44-year-old man from South Korea who entered China with the disease are among the 13 that are being sought, health officials in the southern province of Guangdong said…” (6/1).
Bloomberg Business: South Korea MERS Virus Cases Rise to 18, Health Ministry Says
“South Korea said the number of confirmed cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome rose to 18, as the country’s health minister warned that this week will be critical to contain the spread of the virus…” (Kim/Kang, 5/31).
Reuters: S. Korea fights to contain MERS outbreak, considers tough measures
“…Authorities are considering a ban on overseas travel for the nearly 700 people isolated for possible infection after a 44-year-old man broke a voluntary house quarantine last week and flew to Hong Kong and then travelled to mainland China…” (Kim, 6/1).
The KFF Daily Global Health Policy Report summarized news and information on global health policy from hundreds of sources, from May 2009 through December 2020. All summaries are archived and available via search.