• Your Selections:

Refine Results



Content Type


I live in different states during the year. My summer home is in a northern state; my winter home is in a southern state. Where do I sign up for health coverage? And if I sign up for a plan in one state, how do I find in-network health providers in the other state?

You should buy coverage in the state where you officially reside. Most states consider you a resident if you intend to make that state your permanent home. So-called “snowbirds” may own a second home and live part of the year in another state, but their official state of residence is…

I live in State A but my small business is in State B. I want to buy group coverage for my employees through the SHOP Marketplace. In what state should I buy health benefits?

You should buy group coverage through the SHOP Marketplace in State B, where your business is located.  If your business is located in a HealthCare.gov state, there is no SHOP Marketplace website.  Instead, you should contact insurers directly or work directly with a broker to buy a small group policy. …

What happens if I want to quit a Marketplace health plan during the year?

It is important that you contact both the Marketplace and the health plan and let them know you no longer need coverage.  In HealthCare.gov states, you can log into your Marketplace account, select the “terminate coverage” option, and enter the required information. If you have a family policy and want…

When can small employers enroll in coverage through the SHOP Marketplace?

Small employers can buy coverage for their employees through the SHOP Marketplace at any time during the year.  HealthCare.gov no longer operates a SHOP Marketplace website for small employers, however.  If you want to sponsor small group coverage through the Marketplace for your employees, you can contact insurance companies directly…

Do I have to prove eligibility for a special enrollment period?

Yes, in most states.  The federal Marketplace (HealthCare.gov) requires people to provide documentation of eligibility for special enrollment before you can enroll in coverage.  Pre-enrollment verification is required for the following qualifying events: Loss of minimum essential coverage Permanent move Marriage Adoption, placement for adoption, placement for foster care, or…

How does the “marriage” special enrollment period work?

When you get married, you can qualify for a special enrollment period (SEP).  You and your spouse can sign up for coverage in the Marketplace. The special enrollment period lasts for 60 days from the date of marriage.  If you enroll in coverage through the marriage SEP, coverage will start…

How does the “new dependent” special enrollment period work?

When you have a baby – or when you adopt a child, a child is placed with you for adoption or foster care, or if you gain a dependent through a court order – you can qualify for a new dependent special enrollment period.  You and your dependents can enroll…

The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation Headquarters: 185 Berry St., Suite 2000, San Francisco, CA 94107 | Phone 650-854-9400
Washington Offices and Barbara Jordan Conference Center: 1330 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005 | Phone 202-347-5270

www.kff.org | Email Alerts: kff.org/email | facebook.com/KaiserFamilyFoundation | twitter.com/kff

Filling the need for trusted information on national health issues, the Kaiser Family Foundation is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, California.