A Special Series: The Kaiser Family Foundation and ABC/WCVB Local TV News Initiative – Report
A Special Series
The Kaiser Family Foundation and ABC/WCVB Local TV News Initiative:
Caring For An Elderly Relative
Growing numbers of families today are struggling with the challenges of getting and paying for long-term care for elderly relatives. As the population ages and more women enter the workforce, the problems of caring for elderly relatives will only worsen. There are 1.6 million elderly residents in nursing homes today, but long-term care issues touch millions more families. In fact, more than one in four Medicare beneficiaries has a long-term care need, most of whom are cared for by family members at home. Families are in need of information about what health care services are available and how to pay for and arrange for such care.
As part of a special series to look in-depth at health care issues affecting Americans today, the Kaiser Family Foundation, ABC News and WCVB (Boston) have formed the Local TV News Initiative, a project designed to help the public to better understand the complex health issues facing Americans today. The first in this series focuses on Caring for An Elderly Relative. Two free booklets — “Staying at Home: A Guide to Long-Term Care and Housing” and “Caregiver Support Groups in America” both produced by AARP — are available by calling the Foundation's publication request line: 1 (800) 656-4533.
Additional resources available on the Web are listed below:
- Information about how to contact local and state agencies who can help you obtain services, and a variety of other information of interest to elderly Americans.
- Information about caring for people with Alzheimer disease including local and state resources.
- Information about how to choose a care provider or nursing home, and what you need to know about home and community-based services.
- Information about a wide variety of topics of interest to elderly Americans including consumer guides to home health and nursing care services.
- Information about the federal Medicare and Medicaid programs in general and specifically relating to the programs role in paying for home care and nursing home care.
- Information about finding, choosing, and paying for home care services.
- Information and web page links to organization with more information about health issues, financial security, and Aging Network News.
Visit WCVB, the ABC affiliate in Boston who produced this specialseries on Caring For An Elderly Relative.