Mapping the Donor Landscape in Global Health: Tuberculosis

Today’s global health aid landscape has a proliferation of different donors providing aid to low- and middle-income countries. This crowded climate can create challenges for effectively negotiating, coordinating and delivering programs – challenges that are particularly important in light of the current emphasis on achieving cost-effectiveness and “value for money” in global health programs.

This report maps the network of international assistance aimed at addressing the global impact of tuberculosis (TB).  The analysis identifies 22 different donors, comprising 19 nations providing bi-lateral support and 3 multilateral programs, providing assistance to 109 recipient countries over a three-year period through 2011.  Other key findings include:

  • The Global Fund was by far the largest donor, providing 60% of all TB international assistance; the next largest donor, the U.S., provided one fifth of all assistance (21%).  Together they accounted for 81% of global TB assistance, and comprised more than 75% of the funding received in every region.
  • On average, there were 3 donors present in each recipient country.  Fourteen recipient countries had five or more donors over the study period: India (7), Mozambique (7), Cambodia (6), China (6), Ethiopia (6), Kenya (6), Pakistan (6), Tajikistan (6), Afghanistan (5), Bangladesh (5), Democratic Republic of the Congo (5), Malawi (5), Philippines (5), and Tanzania (5).
  • In each region, the Global Fund provided more than 50% of TB assistance, ranging from 57% in sub-Saharan Africa to nearly 100% in the Middle East, North Africa, and Oceania.  The U.S. was the second most prominent donor in six of the nine regions.

This report is part of a series that examines the donor nations and multilateral organizations involved in addressing different global health challenges in recipient countries worldwide.  The reports aim at providing perspective on the geographic presence of global health donors and to enable more effective coordination and delivery of services globally and within individual recipient nations.

KFF Headquarters: 185 Berry St., Suite 2000, San Francisco, CA 94107 | Phone 650-854-9400
Washington Offices and Barbara Jordan Conference Center: 1330 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005 | Phone 202-347-5270 | Email Alerts: | |

The independent source for health policy research, polling, and news, KFF is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, California.