WHO DG Tedros Visits DRC Ebola Clinic Hours After Another Attack By Militants Leaves Police Officer Dead, Health Workers Injured
Associated Press: Ebola treatment center in Congo is attacked again; 1 dead
“Heavily armed assailants again attacked an Ebola treatment center in the heart of eastern Congo’s deadly outbreak on Saturday, with one police officer killed and health workers injured, authorities said, while frightened patients waited in isolation rooms for the gunfire to end. The early-morning attack in Butembo came less than a week after the treatment center reopened following an attack last month, which forced Doctors Without Borders to suspend operations in the city amid warnings that ending this outbreak is impossible if health workers aren’t protected…” (Mwanamilongo, 3/9).
Reuters: Congo’s Mai Mai militiamen attack Ebola treatment center
“…World Health Organization (WHO) [Director-General] Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus visited the Butembo center later on Saturday, a statement from the organization said. ‘It breaks my heart to think of the health workers injured and the police officer who died in today’s attack, as we continue to mourn those who died in previous attacks, while defending the right to health,’ Tedros was quoted as saying. ‘But we have no choice except to continue serving the people here, who are among the most vulnerable in the world’…” (Mahamba/Paravicini, 3/9).
U.N. News: DR Congo: Following second brutal assault on Ebola clinic, U.N. health chief vows to continue serving ‘most vulnerable’
“…The visit came as [Tedros] concluded a three-day mission to the country, along with other WHO leadership and senior United States officials who met with the president, government officials, partner organizations, and local responders involved in the outbreak response. He also spoke to a group of partners, officials, and staff in Butembo…” (3/9).