U.N. Raises Only About $2M Of $400M For Haiti Cholera Fund
Agence France-Presse: U.N. Haiti cholera fund still falls short despite British aid
“A new appeal by U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres for funding to help Haiti’s cholera victims has fallen short, with only Britain responding to the call, U.N. officials said Friday. With only two percent of the needed $400 million raised, Guterres had written to all member states last month to appeal for aid to Haiti, where more than 9,000 people died of cholera in a 2010 epidemic. Britain was the only country to come forward, pledging $622,000…” (3/17).
New York Times: After Bringing Cholera to Haiti, U.N. Can’t Raise Money to Fight It
“…A trust fund created to help finance the strategy has only about $2 million, according to the latest data on its website. Just six of the 193 member states — Britain, Chile, France, India, Liechtenstein, and South Korea — have donated. Other countries have provided additional sources of anti-cholera funding for Haiti outside the trust fund, most notably Canada, at about $4.6 million, and Japan, at $2.6 million, according to the United Nations. Nonetheless, the totals received are a fraction of what [is] envisioned. … Diplomats said part of the problem could be traced to simple donor fatigue, as well as to many countries’ reluctance to make financial commitments without certainty that the money will be used effectively…” (Gladstone, 3/19).