Philippines Government Suspends, Launches Investigation Into Nation’s Dengue Immunization Program After Sanofi Warns Vaccine Could Make Some Infections More Severe
CIDRAP News: Sanofi restricts dengue vaccine but downplays antibody enhancement
“…The company said a new analysis shows that, for dengue-naive recipients, the vaccine makes future dengue episodes more severe. According to a press release from Sanofi, vaccination should not be recommended to people who have not been infected by dengue virus…” (Soucheray, 12/1).
CNN Philippines: Former DOH Secretary ready to face probe on dengue vaccine
“…The [Philippines] government on Monday launched an investigation on the ₱3.5 billion anti-dengue vaccination [program of the Department of Health (DOH)], following the report of Sanofi Pasteur that its vaccine Dengvaxia poses risks to those who have not been previously infected by dengue but have been vaccinated. The DOH said this puts about 70,000 children at risk…” (Garcia, 12/4).
New York Times: Philippines Suspends Dengue Shots After Drug Firm’s Warning
“The Philippines suspended its school-based dengue immunization program on Friday after the French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi warned that its flagship vaccine, Dengvaxia, had been found to pose health risks in people not previously infected. The suspension came after health experts expressed worries about Sanofi’s announcement [last] week…” (Villamor, 12/1).
Reuters: Philippines orders probe into Sanofi dengue vaccine for 730,000 children
“…The World Health Organization said it hoped to conduct a full review by year-end of data on the vaccine, commercially known as Dengvaxia. In the meantime, the WHO recommended that it only be used in people who had a prior infection with dengue…” (Serapio/Morales, 12/3).
Reuters: Philippine president vows to get to the bottom of dengue vaccine ‘health scam’
“The office of the Philippine president on Sunday vowed to hold accountable those responsible for a suspended dengue immunization program, which it said placed thousands of lives at risk. … ‘We will leave no stone unturned in making those responsible for this shameless public health scam which puts hundreds of thousands of young lives at risk accountable,’ presidential spokesman Harry Roque said in a statement…” (Lema, 12/3).