Resources for Medicare & Medicaid’s 50th Anniversary
On July 30, 1965, President Lyndon Johnson signed the law creating the Medicare and Medicaid programs. As the programs’ 50th anniversary nears, the Kaiser Family Foundation offers several resources that look at the programs’ past and future, including videos that are available to share at in-person events or with online communities:
- Six new articles authored by Foundation staff and published in the journal Generations reflecting on Medicare’s history, evolution and future, the Medicare and Medicaid partnership, the role of private plans, Medicare’s role for women, and public opinion about the program;
- A documentary video that provides a brief history of both programs;
- Interactive timelines that chart key developments in Medicare and Medicaid;
- An animated video timeline of the history of Medicare;
- Video profiles of people discussing their experiences with Medicaid coverage; and
- A report on Medicaid’s accomplishments and challenges, and the issues that lie ahead.
Visit Medicare & Medicaid at 50 and Beyond on kff.org.