Abortion at the Supreme Court
Check Out New and Updated KFF Resources to Learn More About the Future of Abortion in the United States
On May 2, news media reported a leaked draft of the Supreme Court majority decision for the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, showing the Court plans to completely overturn Roe v. Wade. The draft opinion is not yet final and abortion remains legal nationwide for now. The final Court decision is expected late June.
Ahead of the final decision, you can find some KFF resources relevant to this Supreme Court case and abortion access:
- This brief reviews the status of state actions to strengthen and guarantee abortion access to their residents, as well as to prepare for the likely increase in demand for abortion services in those states should the high court overturn the constitutional right to abortion established by Roe v. Wade.
- This Policy Watch gives an overview of employers offering to cover travel expenses for workers who need to go out of state for an abortion in the context of increasing restrictions on abortion around the country. We discuss who is offering these benefits, the implications for workers, and some of the legal and political concerns for employers.
Issue Brief: Abortion at SCOTUS: Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health
- This issue brief provides background on the legal challenges to the Mississippi law in the context of the Supreme Court abortion precedents, addresses the intersections with the litigation that has arisen from S.B. 8, the Texas 6-week abortion ban, and explains the potential outcomes and how they could impact access to abortion around the country.
- This brief outlines the intersection of federal policy regarding dispensing medication abortion with state laws regulating the provision of abortion services and mifepristone dispensing via telehealth and considers the implications of the recent FDA change in different states.
Webinar Recording: Nov. 16 Web Briefing: Update on Women’s Health Policy
- View a recent KFF briefing about issues that are central to women’s health and well-being, ranging from abortion to paid leave, that are being considered by the Supreme Court, Congress, and state policymakers.
Infographic: The Availability and Use of Medication Abortion Care
- This infographic highlights data and policies regarding the availability and effectiveness of medication abortion in the United States. Medication abortion accounts for more than half (54%) of all abortions before nine weeks gestation in the U.S.
- This infographic updates a prior JAMA infographic that presents state policies related to abortion and their intersection with clinical practice. The graphic highlights state-level abortion specific policies, ranging from waiting period laws to medication abortion requirements.
Interactive: State Profiles for Women’s Health
- Explore the latest national and state-specific data and policies on women’s health. Topics include health status, insurance and Medicaid coverage, use of preventive services, sexual health, maternal and infant health, and abortion policies. Many indicators provide state-level information for women of different racial and ethnic groups.