U.N. Humanitarian Chief Urges International Community To Step Up Response To DRC Ebola Outbreak
CIDRAP News: Ebola cases pass 1,000 as DRC records 58 cases last week
“Over the weekend and through today, the ministry of health of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) recorded 25 new Ebola cases … The spike in cases pushed the outbreak total over the 1,000-case milestone as it enters its eighth month. This is the DRC’s 10th and largest Ebola outbreak, and the second biggest in history. The outbreak now stands at 1,016 cases, of which 951 are confirmed and 64 are probable. A total of 634 deaths have been recorded, and 226 suspected cases are still under investigation…” (Soucheray, 3/25).
The Telegraph: Ebola treatment centers in DRC set ablaze as second-worst outbreak infects 1,000
“…Progress in stamping the disease out has been hampered by numerous cases of violence. Three recent attacks on treatment centers have been blamed on ‘Mai Mai rebels,’ which means little as many groups that prowl the area take this name. … Other reports, such as vehicles being pelted with stones and members of the burial team being attacked with machetes, drip in each week. … After living through decades of violence and hardship, it is hardly surprising that the people of Butembo do not trust the authorities…” (Acland, 3/25).
Xinhua News: U.N. humanitarian chief urges int’l community to support fight against Ebola in DRC
“The U.N. humanitarian chief on Monday called on the international community to support the fight against Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) … ‘We don’t think the world is paying enough attention to Ebola,’ U.N. Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Mark Lowcock told reporters, making a 326-million-U.S. dollar appeal to fight the deadly disease. Lowcock said the appeal is to meet the urgent humanitarian needs of the DRC…” (3/25).