MSF Accuses WHO Of Rationing Ebola Vaccine In DRC As Health Authorities Announce Use Of 2nd Vaccine; U.N. Ebola Lead Gressly To Visit U.N. To Appeal For Additional Funds For Outbreak Response
AFP: Doctors Without Borders accuses WHO of rationing Ebola vaccine in DR Congo
“Aid group Doctors Without Borders (MSF) on Monday accused the World Health Organization of rationing the Ebola vaccine in the Democratic Republic of Congo where more than 2,100 people have died of the deadly virus. ‘One of the main problems currently is the fact that in practice the vaccine is rationed by the WHO and that too few people at risk are protected today,’ MSF said in a statement…” (9/23).
CIDRAP News: U.N. Ebola lead Gressly visits Ituri, DRC, promises funds
“In the coming days, David Gressly, the United Nations emergency Ebola response coordinator, will travel to New York City to address the 74th U.N. General Assembly and solicit resources to end the current outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), which grew by 7 cases [Friday]. Gressly announced his travel plans yesterday, during his first visit to Ituri province since he was named the response coordinator earlier this summer, according to the U.N. peacekeeping organization MONUSCO…” (Soucheray, 9/20).
Reuters: Congo to deploy second Ebola vaccine
“Health authorities in Democratic Republic of Congo said on Saturday that they plan to introduce a second Ebola vaccine, manufactured by Johnson & Johnson, to counter the second-worst outbreak of the virus in history. The team overseeing Congo’s Ebola response did not say when exactly the J&J vaccine would be introduced. It will complement another vaccine manufactured by Merck, which has been administered to more than 225,000 people since August 2018…” (Mahamba/Ross, 9/21).