Research Assistant – Public Opinion and Survey Research
Location: San Francisco, CA
Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Program Area: Public Opinion and Survey Research
KFF (Kaiser Family Foundation), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, and health journalism, and communications dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
KFF is seeking a qualified candidate for a Research Assistant to assist with various aspects of public opinion and survey research projects. The Public Opinion and Survey Research Group plays a central role in KFF’s work by undertaking original research on the public’s attitudes, beliefs, and experiences related to health policy and other issues, including experiences and attitudes related to the COVID-19 pandemic and attitudes towards COVID-19 vaccines. Working independently or in partnership with major media organizations like The Washington Post and CNN, the group examines Americans’ opinions on major health and social policy challenges in order to amplify the public’s voice in national debates, with a focus on representing historically marginalized communities. The Research Assistant will participate in various aspects of this work, including assisting with background research, questionnaire design, analysis of survey data, and preparation of graphics and written reports. The successful candidate will have strong quantitative skills, an interest in public opinion surveys, and be able to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously under tight deadlines. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent graduate or someone with 1-2 years of work experience to learn the survey research ropes from an experienced and well-respected team of public opinion researchers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform basic data analyses of survey data;
- Prepare graphs, tables, and other visual presentations of data for written reports and staff presentations;
- Proofread and prepare research reports for publication on the web;
- Track news coverage related to health policy;
- Participate in the design of survey questionnaires;
- Perform background research and literature reviews;
- Plan and coordinate meetings;
- Coordinate and respond to data requests; and
- Oversee archiving of survey projects.
Minimum Required Expertise and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent is required; Master’s Degree or 1-2 years’ experience working in a related field, a plus;
- Strong quantitative skills, including experience with data manipulation and analysis;
- Experience preparing charts and other graphical representations of data;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to describe data in writing;
- Familiarity with, and interest in, key issues in public opinion research, health care, politics and elections, racial disparities, social justice, and social policy;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Experience with SPSS, R, or other statistical analysis software;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, or equivalent;
- Familiarity with Datawrapper, Tableau, or other web-based graphing software, a plus; and
- Ability to work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects.
This full-time position will be based in KFF’s headquarters in San Francisco, CA. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
If this position is of interest to you, please send resume, cover letter, contact information for three references, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and Include “Research Assistant, POSR” in the email heading.
KFF has an efficient applicant review process and will contact candidates who have applied for this position and whose qualifications most closely fit the criteria for the job. No phone inquiries please.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.