Executive Assistant, President’s Office
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
STATUS: Full-time; Exempt
SUPERVISOR: Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
KFF (The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation), a nonprofit organization, is the nation’s leading health policy organization, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
KFF is currently seeking an Executive Assistant to provide direct support to the President & CEO. This full-time position will be based at KFF’s headquarters in San Francisco, CA, but will require occasional travel to KFF’s Washington, DC office. KFF is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in what we do and how we do it, and the hallmark of everything KFF does, in every program area, is focused on people.
This position will provide a unique opportunity to work within a small team responsible for providing high-level support to the President & CEO of a highly respected non-profit organization. Working closely with the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer (COO), this individual will provide administrative support directly to the President & CEO. The qualified individual must have strong and demonstrated knowledge and experience managing the calendar of a C-level or similar executive, including planning and booking extensive travel arrangements. Superb knowledge of Microsoft Office is required, and the candidate should possess excellent proofreading and basic editing skills. Superior organizational skills, with an exceptional commitment to accuracy, detail, and follow-up, along with an ability to work under high-intensity situations is a must. Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively and professionally with individuals at all levels, are also essential. The qualified individual must be adept at handling sensitive and confidential information with tact and diplomacy, interacting with high-level government and private sector leaders, and using good judgment and discretion.
The ideal candidate for this position will enjoy being part of a small, very busy team in the Executive office of a national non-profit organization that plays a leadership role in health policy and communications. This is a position for an individual who has tremendous attention to detail.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reports to the Executive Vice President and COO. Supports the President & CEO on a daily basis and interacts regularly with KFF’s executive and senior staff in San Francisco, California, and Washington, DC;
- Manages the President & CEO’s calendar, including scheduling all meetings;
- Books and monitors national and international travel, focused on the President & CEO’s specific requests and travel needs.
- Reconciles the President & CEO’s work and travel-related expenses for reimbursement with a meticulous eye for detail and accuracy;
- Acts as a gatekeeper for all scheduling requests for the President & CEO;
- Coordinates speaking engagements for the President & CEO, including presentations and venue logistics;
- Manages travel, attendance, and memberships for the President & CEO’s external committees and boards;
- Manages the daily mail and office inbox/outbox for the President;
- Answers the President & CEO’s office phone lines, screening callers, and routing calls as needed;
- Supports the COO and Director of Board Operations in planning and coordinating logistics for four quarterly Board meetings as needed, and assists with a wide range of administrative office duties on a daily basis; and
- Serves as back-up to the Director of Board Operations during vacation/absences.
Minimum Desired Experience and Skills:
- Previous experience supporting executive-level roles, including complex scheduling and calendar management, as well as complicated multi-city national and international travel;
- Extensive experience and high proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) required; in particular, proficiency in Outlook is essential and competency in Adobe Photoshop and PowerPoint is a plus;
- Ability to draft and edit memos, agendas, correspondence, talking points, and presentations;
- Extensive experience performing administrative tasks;
- Ability to use good judgment to handle requests/problems in supervisor’s absence or refer them to the appropriate source;
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills in dealing with KFF staff, Board members, government officials, press, media, and people at all levels in other organizations, projecting a professional image at all times;
- Ability to work well independently, as well as in group settings;
- Ability to multi-task while remaining positive and productive in demanding situations and to adjust to changing priorities with continued attention to detail and timelines. Requires flexibility in an environment where priorities shift regularly;
- Some travel may be required; willingness to perform occasional business errands; and occasional flexibility in schedule may be required; and
- Will be privy to highly confidential information and will be responsible for maintaining strict confidentiality of such information with the utmost discretion at all times.
Not required, but additional attributes considered significant pluses:
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to KFF’s work and mission;
- Knowledge of the health and health policy world in which KFF works;
- Knowledge of United Airlines and West Coast-East Coast travel a plus;
- Direct prior experience in similar positions; and
- Relevant educational achievement (college degree).
Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please submit the following as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org, label your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title,” and include “Executive Assistant” in the email subject:
- Cover letter
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.