Health Insurance and Your Federal Income Tax Return

I had health insurance last year through a Marketplace plan but paid the full premium myself during the year. Now that I’ve done my taxes, I know my income for the year was less than 400% of the federal poverty level, so I may be eligible for a tax credit. Can I still get it?

Ver en Español

Yes.  Premium tax credits can be claimed in advance (during the year) or at year end when you file your taxes.  To claim the credit, you will need to file a federal income tax return and Form 8962.  Follow the instructions on Form 8962 to determine the amount of tax credit you should receive as a tax refund when you file your taxes.

While we have made every effort to provide accurate information in these FAQs, people should contact the health insurance Marketplace or Medicaid agency in their state for guidance on their specific circumstances.