Marketplace Enrollment Periods

I just moved from State A to State B. I don’t have a permanent home yet, am staying with a friend until I find a job and can get settled, but I need health insurance right away. How can I establish/document residency in State B?

Ver en Español

The fact that you don’t have a permanent home should not affect your eligibility in State B as long as you are currently residing there and intend to remain there.

In states, to qualify for a special enrollment due to a permanent move, you must have had been enrolled in other minimum essential coverage, such as under a job-based health plan, another Marketplace plan, or Medicaid.  You must have been enrolled in such coverage for at least one day during the 60-day period leading up to your move.  There are exceptions to this rule for people moving from another country and for American Indians and Alaska Natives.

In addition, in states, the Marketplace will not make this special enrollment period available to you until you have actually moved.

Contact your state Marketplace for more information about the permanent move special enrollment period.

Browse more questions in the Marketplace Eligibility section.

While we have made every effort to provide accurate information in these FAQs, people should contact the health insurance Marketplace or Medicaid agency in their state for guidance on their specific circumstances.

The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation Headquarters: 185 Berry St., Suite 2000, San Francisco, CA 94107 | Phone 650-854-9400
Washington Offices and Barbara Jordan Conference Center: 1330 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005 | Phone 202-347-5270 | Email Alerts: | |

Filling the need for trusted information on national health issues, the Kaiser Family Foundation is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, California.