Attacks On Frontline Ebola Workers In DRC Reach At Least 300, Report Says; U.N. Emergencies Head Calls For Improved Security Measures
AFP: 300 attacks on Ebola health workers in DR Congo this year: report
“Health workers battling an Ebola outbreak in the DR Congo have been attacked 300 times, leaving six dead and 70 wounded since the start of the year in three provinces, authorities said on Monday. … The latest attack occurred in the early hours of Sunday after a Congolese radio host, who helped spread information in the fight against Ebola, was stabbed to death at his home in the Ituri region. … A report from the Congolese health ministry said since January 1, 2019 there had been ‘more than 300 attacks on health workers’ which had killed six people and injured 70 others, among them health care workers and patients…” (11/4).
U.N. News: Ebola emergency chief decries new attacks on frontline staff, after DR Congo worker death
“Security measures for staff helping to fight health emergencies need to be stepped up urgently, a U.N. health agency top official said on Monday, after a frontline Ebola epidemic community worker was reportedly stabbed to death at his home in northeast Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Speaking at a public event in Geneva, Dr. Mike Ryan from the World Health Organization (WHO), said that in his 25-year humanitarian career, violence carried out deliberately against health workers and hospitals had never been so bad…” (11/4).
Additional coverage of the DRC Ebola outbreak, violence against health workers, vaccine use, and the Congolese discoverer of Ebola, Dr. Jean-Jacques Muyembe, is available from ABC News, CIDRAP News, Homeland Preparedness News, and NPR.