U.N. Humanitarian Aid Head Urges Saudi Arabia To Open Yemen’s Borders To Prevent ‘Largest Famine World Has Seen’ In Decades
CNN: Saudi blockade pushing Yemen toward ‘worst famine in decades’
“The U.N.’s humanitarian chief has sent a chilling warning that Yemen is facing the world’s worst famine in decades in which millions could die, if Saudi Arabia continues to block aid flowing into the war-torn nation…” (Dewan, 11/9).
Deutsche Welle: Yemen facing ‘largest famine in decades’ if blockade isn’t lifted, U.N. aid chief says
“…[U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Mark] Lowcock’s warning came as the U.N. Security Council met behind closed doors to discuss the most recent escalation in the Yemen conflict after Saudi Arabia closed off all land, sea, and air borders to the Arabian Peninsula country…” (11/9).
New York Times: Saudi Blockade of Yemen Threatens to Starve Millions, U.N. Says
“…Mr. Lowcock said the Saudis must immediately allow the entry of food and medicine at all seaports, permit the immediate resumption of air services to the cities of Sanaa and Aden, and provide an ‘assurance of no further disruption to these services.’ Without such steps, he said, Yemen will suffer ‘the largest famine the world has seen for many decades, with millions of victims’…” (Gladstone, 11/8).
Reuters: U.N. warns if no Yemen aid access, world will see largest famine in decades
“…[Lowcock] said U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres spoke with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir earlier on Wednesday and called for an immediate resumption of humanitarian access…” (Nichols, 11/8).
Thomson Reuters Foundation: Millions of Yemenis suffer ‘nightmare’ of war as closed borders halt aid
“…A quarter of Yemen’s 28 million people are starving, while half a million children under the age of five are suffering life-threatening malnutrition, the U.N. says. The Arabian Peninsula nation is also battling one of the world’s worst cholera outbreaks…” (Kanso, 11/8).