Web Reporter / Fellow, Kaiser Health News
Location: Washington, D.C.
Status: Full Time, One-Year Term Position
Program Area: Kaiser Health News
The Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a nonprofit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, and health journalism, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. The Foundation serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
Kaiser Health News (KHN) is an editorially independent program of the Foundation. With staff and freelance reporters, columnists, editors, photographers, web producers and videographers, KHN is committed to in-depth reporting on health policy news. KHN provides this coverage on khn.org as well as in partnership with other news organizations, including NPR, The Washington Post, PBS, USA Today, CNN, and a host of other media outlets. All material is provided free of charge. In addition to publishing in-depth articles on new developments in the health care system and on national and local health care initiatives and debates, KHN also produces daily briefings. These reports provide readers with updates on how the media are covering U.S. health care policy.
The Web Reporter/Fellow will help identify health care news and write summaries of media coverage for KHN’s daily briefings. The Web Reporter/Fellow’s workday will begin at 6:30 a.m. Eastern Time. He/she will generate ideas and report stories for KHN and its partners. The Web Reporter/Fellow will report to a KHN editor and be mentored by a KHN correspondent. This is a one-year term position.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Stay abreast of health policy news by searching and monitoring various news sources;
- Curate and synthesize health policy news from multiple media outlets on tight deadlines;
- Prepare summaries of stories for morning briefings;
- Work collaboratively with a team of editors and correspondents in conceiving and executing stories;
- Produce high-quality stories on deadline when necessary; and
- Assist KHN correspondents in story research as needed.
Minimum Desired Expertise and Qualifications:
- Prior newsroom experience, including internships;
- Available to work early morning hours;
- Web journalism background and multimedia skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately on deadline;
- Strong news judgment and writing skills;
- Experience with content management systems;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work flexible hours as news requires; and
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience and interest in health policy journalism;
- Ability to juggle multiple duties and assignments;
- Familiarity with health policy and politics;
- Background in content curation;
- Proficiency with HTML; and
- Familiarity with WordPress.
This full-time position will be based in the KFF’s Washington, D.C., office for a one-year term. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and three writing samples as separate attachments to email@example.com. Please label your documents “Last Name_First Name_ Document Title” and write “Web Reporter/Fellow, KHN” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please. Equal Opportunity Employer.