Web Project Manager
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC (Remote, until September 2021)
PROGRAM AREA: Communications
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a nonprofit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communications. KFF serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
KFF is seeking a qualified candidate for a Web Project Manager position to oversee the design, development, and maintenance of existing and new sections and features of the kff.org WordPress website, seeking to improve the site’s ability to reach and engage with the largest possible audience through the best and latest technologies and user experience.
The Manager will work closely with an external web development company, with whom KFF has had a decade-long relationship. This position does not require extensive coding knowledge or design skills, but the experience and aptitude to make evidence-based decisions regarding website technologies, and UX and UI design.
Key to this position is the ability to collaborate with internal stakeholders and KFF’s web development vendor, positively influence project requirements based on web project experience and user research, and effectively communicate with all parties on timelines, deliverables, goals and expectations.
KFF staff are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. Once staff are able to return to the office this full-time position will be based in KFF’s San Francisco, CA headquarters or its Washington, DC office. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes an excellent benefits package.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the daily operations and improvement of the kff.org WordPress website.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and KFF’s web development vendor on new projects to gather and communicate comprehensive project requirements, make evidence-based recommendations on UX and UI design, and communicate with all parties on timelines, budgets, deliverables, goals and expectations.
- Plan for, and manage, maintenance upgrades to specific projects and the overall website.
- Organize and lead user testing efforts for new projects.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing to define project scope and manage the prioritization of all ongoing projects.
- Evaluate new data visualization tools and keep an eye on new trends that could enhance KFF’s ability to convey data in visual formats.
- Support the development and maintenance of embedded data visualizations from platforms such as Datawrapper, Tableau, Mapbox, and more.
- Create and curate a visual style guide for the kff.org website, in coordination with the web development vendor.
- In partnership with the Director of Marketing, strategically recommend, implement, and measure efforts to improve SEO.
- Work with, and provide back-up support to, the Web Production team on publishing formatted content to kff.org.
MINIMUM DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 5+ years of experience managing or working in a hands-on capacity with WordPress websites including WordPress’s new Gutenberg editor.
- Experience with UX/UI design; Ability to sketch out rough wire frames for new projects.
- Knowledge of basic HTML required to make style changes to web pages.
- Experience with website accessibility standards.
- Experience conducting user testing.
- Experience working with a variety of data visualization platforms including Datawrapper and Tableau; familiarity with Mapbox or ArcGIS, a plus.
- Well-developed project management skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Strong written, oral, interpersonal communication and time-management skills and adept at presenting complicated information in a compelling and straightforward manner.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment, for a bi-coastal organization.
- Interest in domestic U.S. health policy issues and the workings of state and federal government, a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interactive Design, Communications, Journalism, Computer Science, or another relevant field preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position please submit the following as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and including “Web Project Manager” in the email subject:
- Cover letter
KFF has an efficient applicant review process and will contact candidates who have applied for this position and whose qualifications most closely fit the criteria for the job. No phone inquiries please.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.