Web & Social Media Editor
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
PROGRAM AREA: Communications
The Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, health journalism and communication, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues.
The Foundation is seeking a qualified candidate for the Web and Social Media Editor position to write and curate Foundation content for its web site and social media channels. The position also requires the person to assist with media relations and other communications activities.
The Web and Social Media Editor will report to the Foundation’s Vice President for Communications based in its Menlo Park, California headquarters in the Office of the President, and will work closely with other communications and policy staff in both Menlo Park, California and the Washington, DC office. The successful candidate will work in a team environment on all aspects of communications related to the Foundation’s work.
This full-time position will be based in the Foundation’s Menlo Park, California office until the Foundation relocates to its new headquarters in San Francisco, California early 2018, which is located a block from Caltrain’s 4th and King Street Station. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the day-to-day writer, curator and editor of the Foundation’s web site and social media channels.
- Work with marketing and communications staff to implement, enhance, and report on broad social media/web strategy.
- Coordinate and assist Foundation staff’s social media endeavors from their individual accounts.
- Assist in the identification, evaluation, and implementation of new technologies to further the Foundation’s communications activities.
- Interact daily with fellow communications colleagues and policy staff to plan for upcoming releases and other newsworthy activities.
- Monitor external news and developments on issues of interest to the Foundation with an eye toward opportunities for promotion of Foundation’s work on web and social media.
- Monitor social mentions of our organization and relevant topics in health policy. Engage, when appropriate, to build relationships with the community and key influencers.
- Research, facilitate and develop creative presentations of Foundation content for the web and social media using third party products.
- Coordinate visual presentation of graphics across the Foundation’s web and social media outlets.
- Communicate with national/international, regional and specialty media, including broadcast media to promote the Foundation’s work.
- Assist communications officers by drafting and editing media releases.
Minimum Desired Experience and Skills:
- Strong organizational, writing and editing skills, with an emphasis on writing for the web and distilling and clearly communicating complex policy information.
- Knowledge of and passion for domestic U.S. health policy issues and the workings of Congress and the Executive Branch.
- Knowledge of web-based communications tools and content-management systems; Experience with WordPress, HubSpot, and HTML a plus.
- A deep familiarity with the social media landscape and the use of social media for marketing.
- Familiarity with research, data analysis and data visualization.
- Experience in media relations, including working with print and broadcast reporters.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and function in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal communication and time-management skills.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or other relevant field.
- 2-5 years’ experience in online communications/social media or media relations.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume, and references as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and writing “Web & Social Media Editor” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
The Kaiser Family Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.