Social Media Fellowship
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC
STATUS: Full-time, Two-year term
PROGRAM AREA: Communications
KFF (Kaiser Family Foundation), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communications dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
This is a unique fellowship opportunity in communications for candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds to join KFF’s communications team and gain broad exposure to the people, strategies, tools, and networks that drive our communications. The fellow will report to KFF’s Digital Strategist and work closely with the communications team and program staff to assist in implementing social media strategy and web promotion of KFF content with the goal of growing audiences on its various platforms and presenting information using innovative methods.
The two-year fellowship provides an experience to sharpen skills needed to plan and execute social media campaigns for a variety of KFF content. The position will provide exposure to a number of content creation and social monitoring tools as well as an environment that encourages experimentation based on analysis of past experiences.
Among the responsibilities of this position are the daily curation and promotion of content on the multiple KFF-branded social media channels as well as kff.org, development of graphic assets for social media such as charts and videos, and coordination with teams across KFF – including at its nonprofit newsroom Kaiser Health News – to integrate and promote KFF work in a unified manner.
This is a two-year fellowship program based in KFF’s San Francisco, CA headquarters or its Washington, DC office. It is designed to give the candidate exposure to a wide range of KFF’s communications activities and position the candidate for more senior positions in communications at KFF or elsewhere.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes an excellent benefits package.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the Digital Strategist to develop and implement social media strategies for KFF content that adhere to the organization’s nonpartisan and independent mission.
- Create compelling written and graphic content promoting KFF reports and experts across various social media platforms.
- Coordinate with other members of the communications team on best strategies for visual content.
- Monitor news developments for opportunities to elevate and package KFF content.
- Measure, evaluate, and report on social media analytics to assess success and recommend improvements.
- Assist with the basic functions of posting content to various social media platforms.
- Propose new approaches to promoting KFF analysis, polling, and journalism on current or new social media platforms.
- Support additional communications initiatives in a variety of activities as needed, including website updates, media outreach, and event planning and execution.
MINIMUM DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least two years’ experience and/or training in marketing/communications preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn, including knowledge of basic functions on each platform (publishing, posting, sharing links, etc.). Previous experience with Sprout Social is a plus.
- Proficiency with graphic design and video tools, including Adobe Creative Suite (Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop) and Canva
- Experience writing and editing, particularly for websites. WordPress (or equivalent CMS) experience and basic knowledge of HTML preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with analytics tools, such as Google Analytics.
- Strong project management and time management skills and the ability to advance several projects simultaneously.
- Strong news judgment. Experience in health policy is a plus but not required.
- Well-developed organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, flexible, driven, demonstrated ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position please submit the following as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and including “Social Media Fellowship” in the email subject:
- Cover letter
- Supporting materials that include a collection of active links or graphic files demonstrating applicable experience and credentials
KFF has an efficient applicant review process and will contact candidates who have applied for this position and whose qualifications most closely fit the criteria for the job. No phone inquiries please.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.