Senior Data Analyst – Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured / State Health Facts
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Program Area: Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured and State Health Facts
KFF (Kaiser Family Foundation), a nonprofit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communications, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
KFF’s Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured provides information and analysis on health care coverage and access for the low-income population with a special focus on Medicaid’s role and coverage of the uninsured. The Senior Data Analyst will develop and carry out quantitative analyses related to Medicaid policy, health reform, and coverage for the low-income population, as well as estimates of the effects of proposed changes to Medicaid and health coverage programs for low-income people. The Senior Data Analyst will also oversee activities related to State Health Facts, an interactive tool with hundreds of state indicators.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work independently and with senior staff to develop and conduct quantitative analyses using large national and state-level databases, including developing research questions and analytic approaches; conducting data management and complex statistical analysis; and preparing tables, figures, and brief reports to present findings related to Medicaid and low-income populations.
- Contribute to KFF reports and other publications by preparing figures, tables, charts and other data visualizations, as well as writing fact sheets, policy briefs, and other background documents on key issues related to Medicaid and low-income populations.
- Keep abreast of new policy developments affecting the Medicaid program and coverage for the low-income population.
- Develop new analytic tools and capacity to generate and display state-level data across KFF policy areas.
- Oversee State Health Facts program. Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensure data on the site are up-to-date and accurate; generate data from national and state-level databases and manage procurement of data from contractors, vendors, and external organizations;
- Streamline processes for updating and reviewing data, enhance data elements available on the site, and develop new data sources and online resources;
- In collaboration with the State Health Facts team, coordinate with the web design team to maintain and improve the SHF and related sites, and respond to the data and information needs of policymakers, the media, and the general public;
- Supervise day-to-day tasks of a research assistant; and
- Think creatively about how to use state data to inform current policy debates
Minimum Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Master’s degree in statistics, biostatistics, econometrics, or related field, or master’s degree in public health, public policy, or related field plus several years of work experience in quantitative data analysis;
- Database and statistical programming experience, with a preference for fluency in R;
- Experience conducting research and analysis using large administrative, survey, or health claims databases, including data cleaning, quality assessment, imputation and statistical analysis;
- Ability to synthesize secondary data, conduct original quantitative analysis, and communicate results clearly through tables, charts, and figures;
- Ability to develop, initiate and conduct work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects
- Strong organizational and management skills and attention to detail; and
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment and manage the work of junior staff.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please submit the following as separate attachments to email@example.com labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and including “Senior Data Analyst – Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured / State Health Facts” in the email subject:
KFF has an efficient applicant review process and will contact candidates who have applied for this position and whose qualifications most closely fit the criteria for the job. No phone inquiries please.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.