Research Assistant, State Health Facts
Location: Washington, DC (Remote, until at least September 2021)
Program Area: Health Policy – State Health Facts
The Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, and health journalism, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
State Health Facts (SHF) serves as KFF’s primary source for state-level health and health policy information. SHF provides free, up-to-date, and easy-to-use health data for all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the United States, and some territories. Data are available for more than 800 health indicators and users are provided with the ability to map, rank, trend, and download data. This position will be responsible for day-to-day management of SHF data and will also play a key role in the collection, analysis, and publication of state-level data and information on health and health policy topics across KFF’s program areas.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain the SHF resource and related online tools to ensure all data are accurate, up-to-date, organized, and easily accessible to users;
- Procure new and updated data from online sources, contractors/vendors, external organizations, and KFF publications and staff;
- Coordinate with KFF’s Web team and contractors to maintain and improve site functionality and available features related to SHF;
- In coordination with other KFF staff, develop new online tools for displaying state-level information and data;
- Respond to requests for information from the media, policymakers, and the general public related to SHF data;
- Manage SHF vendor contracts, invoices, and annual data purchases;
- Serve as a liaison between SHF and KFF Communications to promote new and updated content;
- Assist with ongoing tracking of state policies and data related to COVID-19 and other health policy issues;
- Work collaboratively with other KFF policy staff on analyses of surveys and data for related projects; and
- Provide research assistance, including background policy research and compilation and documentation of existing data from public sources, to support the analytic work of KFF program staff, as needed.
Specific Types of Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, public health, or a related discipline;
- Strong quantitative skills and research experience and familiarity with health policy data sources;
- Highly detail oriented and excellent time management skills;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects with multiple deadlines;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal staff and external partners;
- Proficiency in R, particularly data cleaning and manipulation, and Microsoft Office, including Excel; WordPress and Python skills preferred; and
- Familiarity with, or interest in, state and national health policy.
KFF staff are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. Once staff are able to return to the office this full-time position will be based in KFF’s Washington, DC office. KFF offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, including an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references as separate attachments to email@example.com, labeling your documents “LAST Name_First_Document Title”. Please write “Research Assistant, SHF” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.