Research Assistant, Public Opinion and Survey Research
Location: San Francisco, CA
Status: Full-Time; Two-year term position with possibility of extension; Non-exempt
Program Area: Public Opinion and Survey Research
KFF (Kaiser Family Foundation), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, and health journalism, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
KFF is seeking a qualified candidate for a Research Assistant assisting with various aspects of public opinion and survey research projects. The Public Opinion and Survey Research Group plays a central role in KFF’s work by undertaking original research on the public’s attitudes, beliefs, and experiences related to health policy and other issues. Working independently or in partnership with major media organizations including The Washington Post, CNN, and The Economist, the group examines Americans’ opinions on major health and social policy challenges in order to amplify the public’s voice in national debates. The Research Assistant will participate in various aspects of this work, including assisting with questionnaire design, analysis of survey data, and preparation of graphics and written reports. The successful candidate will have a strong interest in public opinion surveys and be able to work under tight deadlines, manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously, and be a team player. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent graduate or someone with 1-2 years of work experience to learn the survey research ropes from an experienced and well-respected team of public opinion researchers.
This full-time position will be based in KFF’s headquarters in San Francisco, CA. This is a two-year term position with the possibility extension if the funding is available. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare graphs, tables, and other visual presentations of data for written reports and staff presentations;
- Proofread and prepare research reports for publication on the web;
- Track news coverage related to health policy;
- Participate in the design of survey questionnaires;
- Perform basic data analyses of survey data;
- Perform background research and literature reviews;
- Plan and coordinate meetings; and
- Oversee archiving of survey projects.
Minimum Required Expertise and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree or 1-2 years’ experience working in a related field, a plus;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Must have strong quantitative skills as well as strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Familiarity with, and interest, in key issues in health care, politics, and social policy;
- Experience preparing charts and other graphical representations of data;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Familiarity with SPSS or other statistical analysis software, a plus; and
- Ability to work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects.
How to Apply:
If this position is of interest to you, please send resume, cover letter, contact information for three references, and a writing sample to email@example.com. Please label your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and Include “Research Assistant, POSR” in the email heading. No phone inquiries, please.
KFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider for employment all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.