Research Assistant/Policy Analyst, Racial Equity and Health Policy Program
LOCATION: Washington, DC (Remote, until at least January 2021)
STATUS: Full-Time; Two-year term position with possibility of extension
PROGRAM AREA: Racial Equity and Health Policy Program
The Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communication, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
KFF’s Racial Equity and Health Policy Program provides timely and reliable data, information, and policy analysis on health and health care disparities affecting people of color and underserved groups and efforts to advance health equity. KFF is seeking applicants for a research assistant/policy analyst with the Racial Equity and Health Policy Program who will work with senior staff to develop and carry out research projects and policy analysis related to health disparities and efforts to advance equity. Qualified applicants should demonstrate strong analytic and communication skills and have knowledge of health and health care disparities and the factors driving them as well as a personal interest and commitment to addressing disparities and advancing health equity.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct policy analysis, including review and synthesis of policy documents, proposals, regulations, or other secondary sources of information.
- Synthesize data to perform quantitative analysis.
- Write and prepare fact sheets, policy briefs, presentations and other documents and prepare figures, tables, charts and other data visualizations to effectively communicate key findings.
- Keep abreast of new policy developments affecting health disparities and efforts to advance health equity.
- Collaborate with KFF’s communications team and staff across KFF program areas to facilitate effective communication and dissemination of work and advance opportunities for cross-program work.
- Respond to external inquiries from the media, policymakers, stakeholders, and others in the policy community; present KFF’s work at meetings; and engage with the external community on social media.
Minimum Desired Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, with a preference for a degree or experience in public health, public policy, health policy, or health economics.
- To be considered as a policy analyst, candidates must have a Master’s degree in public health, public policy, or a related field and some work experience in policy analysis or policy research.
- Knowledge of health and health care disparities and factors driving them.
- Ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis, with a preference for experience with statistical programming and analyzing survey data.
- Ability to analyze complex policy issues, summarize policy research, and effectively communicate key issues to lay audiences.
- Excellent writing and communication skills with the ability to communicate findings clearly through written documents and data visualizations, including tables, charts, and figures.
- Ability to work independently on concurrent projects and balance multiple priorities, with strong project management skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively work in teams and to develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal staff and members of the external policy and research community.
This full-time position will eventually be based in KFF’s Washington, D.C. office, which is located downtown near Metro Center. However, employees are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 precautions. This position is funded through two years from the date of hire, with the possibility of extension if funding is available. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, cover letter, contact information for three references, and a writing sample as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org, labeling your documents “LAST Name_First Name_Document Title.” Please write “Policy Analyst, Racial Equity and Health Policy Program” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
KFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider for employment all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under law.