Policy Analyst, Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured
LOCATION: Washington, DC
STATUS: Full-Time; Exempt
PROGRAM AREA: Health Policy-Kaiser Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured
The Kaiser Family Foundation’s (KFF) Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured provides information and analysis on health care coverage and access for the low-income population with a special focus on Medicaid’s role. The Policy Analyst will help develop and carry out quantitative and qualitative policy analysis and research related to Medicaid policy and coverage for the low-income population, with a particular concentration on issues related to Medicaid budgets and financing, Medicaid’s role in financing and facilitating access to pharmacy services for low-income populations, and emerging policy proposals that alter program financing and service delivery. Specifically, the Policy Analyst will:
- Work with senior staff to develop projects and conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis related to Medicaid and specifically Medicaid budgets and financing, pharmacy benefits, and federal and state Medicaid policy proposals in these areas;
- Perform policy research using large national and state-level databases, including developing research questions and analytic approaches; conducting data management and basic statistical analysis; preparing tables, figures, and brief reports to present findings; and conducting background research for specific analytic projects;
Undertake policy analysis and synthesis based on review of policy documents, proposals, regulations, or other secondary sources;
- Author KFF policy briefs and other publications, including developing figures, tables, charts and other data visualizations and writing fact sheets, policy briefs, and other documents;
- Keep abreast of new policy developments affecting the Medicaid pharmacy benefit as well as broader issues in the Medicaid program and coverage for the low-income population; and
- Present to outside groups or help respond to media inquiries about policy issues and research findings.
This full-time position will be based in KFF’s Washington, D.C. office, which is located downtown near Metro Center. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
Minimum Desired Experience and Skills:
- Master’s degree in public health, public policy, or related field, plus 3-5 years of work experience in policy analysis or policy research;
- Expertise in federal and state policy issues and data sources related to Medicaid financing and/or prescription drug utilization/payment;
- Experience conducting original research and analysis using administrative, survey, or health claims databases, and experience in synthesizing secondary data;
- Ability to communicate research findings clearly through tables, charts, and figures;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to develop, initiate and conduct work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects;
- Ability to effectively work in teams and to develop and maintain strong working relationships with external partners;
- Strong organizational and management skills and attention to detail; and
- Database and statistical programming experience in SAS or R, preferred.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and include “Policy Analyst, KPMU” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
KFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider for employment all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.