Policy Analyst, Health Insurance Coverage and Access
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Program Area: Health Policy-Kaiser Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured
The Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communication, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public. KFF’s Program on Medicaid and the Uninsured provides information and analysis on health care coverage and access for the low-income population with a special focus on Medicaid’s role and coverage of the uninsured. The Policy Analyst will help develop and carry out quantitative analysis related to Medicaid policy and coverage for the low-income population, as well as estimates of effects of proposed changes to Medicaid and health coverage programs for low-income people. Specifically, the Policy Analyst will:
- Work with senior staff to develop and conduct quantitative analysis using large national and state-level databases, including developing analytic approaches; conducting data management and basic statistical analysis; preparing tables, figures, and brief reports to present results; and conducting background research for specific analytic projects;
- Contribute to KFF reports and other publications by helping prepare figures, tables, charts and other data visualizations, as well as writing fact sheets, policy briefs, and other background documents on key issues;
- Keep abreast of new policy developments affecting the Medicaid program and coverage for the low-income population;
- Help respond to media inquiries about research findings and present to outside groups.
Minimum Desired Experience and Skills:
- Master’s degree in statistics, biostatistics, econometrics, or related field, or master’s degree in public health, public policy, or related field plus 3-5 years of work experience in quantitative data analysis;
- Database and statistical programming experience in SAS or R;
- Experience conducting original research and analysis using large administrative, survey, or health claims databases, including data cleaning, quality assessment, imputation and statistical analysis;
- Ability to synthesize secondary data, conduct original quantitative analysis, and communicate results clearly through tables, charts, and figures
- Knowledge of federal and state health policy related to health insurance coverage and Medicaid policy;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to develop, initiate and conduct work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects;
- Ability to effectively work in teams and to develop and maintain strong working relationships with external partners;
- Strong organizational and management skills and attention to detail.
This full-time position will be based in KFF’s Washington, D.C. office, which is located downtown near Metro Center. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter and resume as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label your documents “LAST Name_First Name Cover Letter” and “LAST Name_First Name Resume”. Please write “Policy Analyst, Health Insurance Coverage & Access” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
KFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider for employment all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.