LOCATION: Washington, DC (preferred) or San Francisco, CA
STATUS: Full-Time; 24-month term-limited position (with possibility of extension)
PROGRAM AREA: Program on Medicare Policy, Program on the Health Care Marketplace, Program on the ACA
KFF (Kaiser Family Foundation), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communications, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public. KFF is seeking a Policy Analyst to work on a new initiative examining the business practices, financial incentives and other market forces that affect the affordability and accessibility of health care, particularly hospital care.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct policy analysis, including review and synthesis of policy documents, proposals, regulations, academic literature and other secondary sources of information.
- Provide input, interpret, and assist in performing quantitative analyses related to the financial performance of hospitals and other health care providers, health care spending, and affordability.
- Write and prepare fact sheets, policy briefs, presentations and other documents and prepare figures, tables, charts and other data visualizations to effectively communicate key findings.
- Keep abreast of new policy developments and research pertaining to hospital prices, health care market concentration, antitrust enforcement, business practices of hospitals and other providers, and the role of private equity in health care.
- Respond to external inquiries from the media, policymakers, stakeholders, and others in the policy community.
- Assist with communication strategies to disseminate work, including engaging with the external community on social media.
- Track grant performance and draft quarterly reports for submission to the funder.
Experience and Skills
- Master’s degree in public health, public policy health policy or health economics (preferred), or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of two years of professional experience in health or economic policy analysis or research.
- Proven ability to analyze complex policy issues, summarize policy research, and effectively communicate key issues to lay audiences, as demonstrated by academic training and/or work experience.
- Substantial knowledge of, and working experience with, U.S health policy, including federal health programs and financing. Knowledge of hospital markets and business practices preferred.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills, including experience with statistical programming, with a preference for familiarity with R.
- Ability to work independently on concurrent projects and balance multiple priorities, with strong project management skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and communicate findings clearly, with preference for experience using Datawrapper to create data visualizations, including tables, charts, and figures.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment, across multiple teams, and with members of the external policy and research community.
- Inquisitive, creative, productive, positive-minded, and results oriented.
This full-time position will be based in KFF’s Washington, DC office, located downtown near Metro Center (preferred) or in KFF’s San Francisco office. KFF is currently working a hybrid schedule and requires all staff to work in the office a minimum of 3 days a week. The position is term-limited for 24 months, with the possibility of extension.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
If this opportunity interests you, and you have the requisite experience and qualifications, please email your resume and a cover letter explaining how your background matches the job requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit these documents as separate attachments, labeled as “Last Name_First Name_Document Title”, and include “Policy Analyst Medicare” in the subject line of your email.
KFF has an efficient applicant review process and will contact candidates who have applied for this position and whose qualifications most closely fit the criteria for the job. No phone inquiries please.
KFF requires all employees to provide proof that they are up to date on their COVID-19 vaccinations.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender-identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.