Payroll & Benefits Administrator
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
Program Area: Human Resources
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a nonprofit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communications, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
The Human Resources department plays a central role in supporting a diverse staff of 185 employees. This is an opportunity to become part of a team supporting a nonpartisan mission-driven organization working with dedicated colleagues committed to improving health care for all communities. Headquartered in San Francisco, California, KFF also has a large staff presence in Washington, DC as well as a few smaller satellite offices.
KFF is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in what we do and how we do it, and the hallmark of everything KFF does, in every program area, is focused on people.
KFF is seeking an experienced Payroll & Benefits Administrator to play a key role in supporting our semi-monthly payroll processing and assisting in the administration of all benefit plans. The Administrator will also provide critical support for various HR projects and assigned tasks, as needed. The ideal candidate will be service oriented with strong communication and interpersonal skills, and capable of providing the highest level of support and assistance to staff. This position will be privy to highly confidential information and will be responsible for maintaining strict confidentiality of such information at all times.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process semi-monthly payroll, ensuring accuracy and timeliness of all payroll processes, including tax deposits, year-end reconciliations and W-2 preparation;
- Assist in tracking and reconciling employee time off;
- Assist with annual audits of benefit plans;
- Benefits Administration, including, but not limited to:
- Review benefit plans with the Benefits Manager to ensure all plans are current;
- Assist in conducting regular reviews of benefits packages to ensure that all employees are properly enrolled;
- Administer new hire paperwork and coordinate final paperwork for terminating employees, including COBRA letters, life and LTD conversion forms, and retirement plan rollover notices;
- Process retirement plan, 125 Plan, wellness, employee tuition plan and a wide array of comprehensive benefit plans;
- Process/reconcile premium payments for employee benefit plans;
- Assist in the development, distribution, and follow up of employee open enrollment notices;
- Maintain accurate and complete personnel and benefit files;
- Assist in preparing data for benefit and salary surveys; and
- Other HR related projects as assigned and needed.
Minimum Required Expertise and Qualifications:
- General understanding of legal and compliance requirements of payroll and benefits administration;
- Experience with ADP or similar HR/Payroll software a plus;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite with strong Excel skills;
- Excellent time management, organizational, and analytical skills;
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment and ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with staff and external vendors;
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and function in a fast-paced environment;
- Tact, discretion, and good self-expression;
- Willingness to support KFF’s efforts to promote an inclusive and equitable work environment; fluency in DEI concepts a plus; and
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
This full-time position will be based in KFF’s San Francisco, CA headquarters, located in China Basin. KFF is currently working a hybrid schedule and requires all staff to work in the office a minimum of 3 days a week.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes an excellent benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position please submit the following as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and including “Payroll and Benefits Administrator” in the email subject:
- Cover letter
KFF has an efficient applicant review process and will contact candidates who have applied for this position and whose qualifications most closely fit the criteria for the job. No phone inquiries, please.
KFF requires all employees to provide proof that they are up to date on their COVID-19 vaccination.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.