Managing Editor, California Healthline & Kaiser Health News
Status: Full Time, Two-Year Term Position with Possibility of Extension
Program Area: Kaiser Health News
The Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a nonprofit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, and health journalism, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. The Foundation serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
Kaiser Health News (KHN) is an editorially independent program of the Foundation. With staff and freelance reporters, columnists, editors, photographers, web producers and videographers, KHN is committed to in-depth reporting on health policy news. KHN provides this coverage on http://www.khn.org as well as in partnership with other news organizations, including NPR, The Washington Post, USA Today, CNN, and a host of other media outlets. All material is provided free of charge. In addition to publishing in-depth articles on new developments in the health care system and on national and local health care initiatives and debates, KHN also produces daily briefings. For more than a decade, these reports have provided readers with daily updates on how the media are covering U.S. health care policy.
In early 2016, KHN will begin producing California Healthline under a new partnership between the California HealthCare Foundation and KFF. California Healthline is a news service dedicated to original reporting and news aggregation on California health policy issues. This position will be part of KHN’s California Healthline team, whose stories will appear on California Healthline, KHN, and many California-based and national media distribution partners.
The managing editor will oversee all editorial functions of California Healthline (CHL), planning and shaping CHL news coverage and features, and ensuring the timeliness and quality of the daily email report, including aggregated news. The editor will have overall supervision of a staff including a senior editor, several reporters, a multimedia specialist and a web producer, as well as freelance journalists. He/she will build local distribution partnerships to ensure that the reporting reaches as broad a spectrum of affected communities in California as possible, including ethnic communities. In addition, the editor will work closely with KHN’s Los Angeles-based Senior Editor and other KHN staff to produce coverage of significant California issues for KHN’s national audience, attending KHN editing staff meetings as needed. The managing editor will share story editing responsibilities with other editors as needed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Stay abreast of California-focused health policy news and information by consulting and/or monitoring various online and offline news sources;
- Generate ideas and edit original stories for CHL and, when appropriate, KHN;
- Supervise CHL and KHN journalists(s) producing California-based stories
- Ensure the quality and timeliness of news stories and aggregated news;
- Expand distribution of CHL to additional partners, including publications in minority communities;
- Work with KHN and KFF senior leadership to manage the partnership with colleagues at the California Healthcare Foundation; and
- Oversee freelancers and a freelance budget.
Minimum Desired Expertise and Qualifications:
- At least 7 years journalism experience, with at least 3 as an editor;
- Familiarity with California health policy and/or politics;
- Web journalism experience;
- Demonstrated ability to edit quickly and accurately on deadline;
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with a team; and
- Demonstrated organizational and management skills.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Health policy journalism experience;
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Knowledge of the effects of the Affordable Care Act on states;
- Knowledge of the California media market;
- Familiarity with content management systems, including WordPress;
- Demonstrated ability to work with freelance reporters; and
- Experience working with multimedia, graphic artists and photographers.
This full-time position will be based in California, and is a two-year position with the possibility of extension for a longer duration. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name Document Title”. Please write “Managing Editor, CHL/KHN” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please. Equal Opportunity Employer.