LOCATION: San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC (Remote, until September 2021)
PROGRAM AREA: Communications
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, health journalism and communications, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
KFF is seeking a qualified candidate for a Digital Strategist position to write and curate health policy content for its digital platforms. The position is part of a team focused on media relations and broader communications activities.
The ideal candidate will have at least two years of experience working in communications or journalism with an emphasis on domestic health policy issues. The position requires a strong news appetite and the ability to identify opportunities where KFF content can add value to the news cycle. The successful Digital Strategist will be able to think creatively about presenting the information and data produced by KFF’s various program areas in timely and meaningful ways to reach our target audiences of journalists and policymakers.
The Digital Strategist will report to KFF’s Vice President for Communications who is based in KFF’s San Francisco, California headquarters where the Office of the President is also based, and will work closely with other communications and policy staff in both San Francisco and the Washington, DC office on a daily basis. The successful candidate will work in a collaborative, team environment in consultation with KFF’s policy staff on all aspects of communications related to KFF’s work.
Due to the nature of the work, this full-time position requires an East Coast work schedule whether it is based in KFF’s headquarters in San Francisco, California or its Washington, DC office. However, employees are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 precautions, but will be returning to the office in September 2021. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes an excellent benefits package.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary writer, curator and editor of KFF’s digital communications, especially on the kff.org web site and social media channels, with special emphasis on integrating KFF’s analysis, polling, news and public information campaigns into a comprehensive, digital promotional strategy that continues KFF’s reputation for providing relevant, timely, nonpartisan health policy resources.
- Work with marketing and communications staff to implement and enhance social media/web strategy.
- Manage and update the kff.org homepage and key topic pages on a daily basis and coordinate on editorial strategy for updating content throughout the site, interacting with communications colleagues and policy staff to plan for new releases and other newsworthy events in health policy.
- Monitor external news and developments on issues of interest to KFF with an eye toward opportunities to promote KFF’s work on web and social media platforms.
- Monitor social mentions of our organization and relevant topics in health policy. Engage, when appropriate, to build relationships with the community and key influencers.
- Research, facilitate and develop creative visual and multimedia presentations of KFF content for the web and social media using third party digital graphics platforms.
- Assist in the identification, evaluation, and implementation of new web site technologies and social media platforms and tools.
- Coordinate and assist KFF staff’s social media endeavors as part of an employee engagement and ambassador initiative to elevate KFF’s policy and survey research experts and attract media attention to their work.
Minimum Desired Experience and Skills:
- Strong organizational, writing and editing skills, with an emphasis on writing for the web and the ability to quickly distill and clearly communicate complex policy information for a variety of mediums.
- Knowledge of and passion for domestic U.S. health policy issues and the roles of Congress, the Executive Branch, and state and local government in health policy.
- Knowledge of web-based communications tools and content-management systems; Experience with WordPress, Sprout Social and HTML a plus.
- Experience creating digital assets in design programs such as Canva or InVision.
- A deep familiarity with the social media landscape and the use of social media in the U.S. media landscape.
- Familiarity with research, data analysis and data visualization.
- Experience in media relations, including working with print and broadcast reporters.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and function in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal communication and time-management skills.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or another relevant field preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in online communications/social media, media relations, or journalism.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume, and references as separate attachments to email@example.com labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and writing “Digital Strategist” in the email heading.
KFF has an efficient applicant review process and will contact candidates who have applied for this position and whose qualifications most closely fit the criteria for the job. No phone inquiries, please.
It is the policy of KFF to actively promote a diverse and inclusive workplace in every respect, and to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees in every phase of employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.