Digital Strategist, Communications
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
PROGRAM AREA: Communications
The Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, health journalism and communication, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues.
KFF is seeking a qualified candidate for a Digital Strategist position to write and curate health policy content for its communication platforms. The position is part of a team focused on media relations and broader communications activities.
The ideal candidate will have at least two 2-3 years of experience with health policy issues related to KFF’s work. Additionally, the position requires someone be an avid follower of news who can quickly relate KFF content to external events and think creatively about the collective presentation of information and data produced by KFF’s diverse program areas.
The Digital Strategist will report to KFF’s Vice President for Communications based in its San Francisco, California headquarters in the Office of the President, and will work closely with other communications and policy staff in both San Francisco and the Washington, DC office. The successful candidate will work in a team environment on all aspects of communications related to the KFF’s work.
This full-time position is based in KFF’s headquarters in San Francisco, California. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a writer, curator and editor of KFF’s communications, especially the web site and social media channels, with special emphasis on integrating KFF’s analysis, polling, news and public information campaigns on health issues.
- Work with marketing and communications staff to implement, enhance, and report on broad social media/web strategy.
- Coordinate and assist KFF staff’s social media endeavors from their individual accounts.
Interact daily with fellow communications colleagues and policy staff to plan for upcoming releases and other newsworthy activities.
- Monitor external news and developments on issues of interest to KFF with an eye toward opportunities for promotion of KFF’s work on web and social media.
- Monitor social mentions of our organization and relevant topics in health policy. Engage, when appropriate, to build relationships with the community and key influencers.
- Research, facilitate and develop creative presentations of KFF content for the web and social media using third party products.
- Coordinate visual presentation of graphics across the KFF’s web and social media outlets.
- Assist in the identification, evaluation, and implementation of new technologies to further KFF’s communications activities.
- Communicate with national/international, regional and specialty media, including broadcast media to promote KFF’s work.
- Assist in drafting and editing communication products such as press releases.
Minimum Desired Experience and Skills:
- Strong organizational, writing and editing skills, with an emphasis on writing for the web and distilling and clearly communicating complex policy information.Knowledge of and passion for domestic U.S. health policy issues and the workings of Congress and the Executive Branch.
- Knowledge of web-based communications tools and content-management systems; Experience with WordPress, Hubspot, Hootsuite and HTML a plus.
- A deep familiarity with the social media landscape and the use of social media for marketing.
- Familiarity with research, data analysis and data visualization.
- Experience in media relations, including working with print and broadcast reporters.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and function in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal communication and time-management skills.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or other relevant field.
- 2-5 years’ experience in online communications/social media or media relations.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume, and references as separate attachments to email@example.com labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and writing “Digital Strategist” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
The Kaiser Family Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider for employment all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.