LOCATION: San Francisco, CA (though working remotely through at least the end of 2020)
STATUS: Full-time; Term through December 2021 with possibility of extension
PROGRAM AREA: Communications
KFF (Kaiser Family Foundation), a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communication, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public, and is seeking an enthusiastic candidate for a Communications Associate position to actively manage communications efforts related to KFF’s work in women’s health and U.S. global health and domestic HIV policy, including media relations and outreach on these and other topics. KFF’s current work is heavily focused on the coronavirus pandemic’s impact on health care policy.
KFF’s Women’s Health Policy team produces information and conducts analysis on women’s health coverage, access to care, and sexual and reproductive health, with a focus on abortion, contraceptive access, and gender and racial/ethnic health inequities. Much of the global health policy work and a substantial portion of domestic health policy work is currently focused on the coronavirus pandemic. Generally, KFF’s global health policy work focuses on the U.S. role in addressing global health challenges, including key budget and programmatic issues involving HIV, maternal and child health, infectious disease prevention and response, and other issues.
As part of these efforts, KFF currently holds online web briefings for the media and the general public.
The Communications Associate will report to KFF’s San Francisco-based Vice President of Communications and will work closely with other communications and policy staff in KFF’s Washington office and SF headquarters. The successful candidate will work in a team environment on all aspects of communications related to KFF’s health policy work.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creating, writing and editing media materials for use in announcements of KFF analysis and products, including press releases, email alerts and social media content including graphics.
- Coordinating and executing public events, web media briefings, news releases and follow-up amplification.
- Fielding inquiries from, and maintaining relationships with, national, regional and local media, as well as international, trade and specialty media, including broadcast and online outlets.
- Conducting outreach to key audiences beyond media, including federal and state policymakers and health interest and industry groups.
- Serving as the day-to-day manager of KFF’s women’s health and global health policy content on kff.org, including making changes and updates using KFF’s web content management system.
- Composing social media posts to promote program materials via Twitter, Facebook, and other social media outlets.
- Developing and maintaining lists of media and influential leaders in women’s health and global health policy.
- Monitoring external news and developments on issues of interest to KFF with an eye toward opportunities for promotion of KFF’s work on web and social media.
- Analyzing the impact of KFF’s outreach and sharing those results with policy and communications teams.
- Working as a part of KFF’s communications team and pitching in on other communications activities.
Minimum Desired Knowledge and Experience:
- Strong organizational, writing and editing skills, with an emphasis on writing for the web and distilling and clearly communicating complex policy information. Experience creating graphics and data visualizations, a plus.
- Knowledge of and passion for women’s health policy and/or U.S. global health policy issues, and familiarity with the workings of the federal government, Congress, and the Courts as well as state policy issues.
- Experience in media relations and social media, including working with print and broadcast reporters and social media.
- Experience coordinating news briefings, webinars, and conferences.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal communication and time-management skills, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience handling a high volume of work and function in a fast-paced environment, with keen attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, flexible, driven, demonstrated ability to work well independently as well as in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Knowledge of web-based communications tools and content-management systems; Experience with WordPress, Hubspot, and HTML, a plus.
- Experience with monitoring and reporting outreach results via media monitoring services and web analytics programs, a plus.
KFF staff will be working remotely through at least the end of 2020 due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Once the staff is able to return to the office, this full-time position will be based in KFF’s San Francisco, CA headquarters.
This is a term position through December 31, 2021 with the possibility of extension. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume, and references as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and writing “Communications Associate” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
KFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider for employment all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.