I claimed too much premium tax credit for 2020. I filed my federal tax return before the American Rescue Plan became law and repaid the excess APTC. Can I get that money back?

Yes, you should be able to get the money back.  Federal agency implementation of the new law is underway, so details about how to get your money back are not available at this time.  When the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides more information, this FAQ will be updated.

While we have made every effort to provide accurate information in these FAQs, people should contact the health insurance Marketplace or Medicaid agency in their state for guidance on their specific circumstances.

KFF Headquarters: 185 Berry St., Suite 2000, San Francisco, CA 94107 | Phone 650-854-9400
Washington Offices and Barbara Jordan Conference Center: 1330 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005 | Phone 202-347-5270

www.kff.org | Email Alerts: kff.org/email | facebook.com/KFF | twitter.com/kff

The independent source for health policy research, polling, and news, KFF is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, California.