The Burden of Medical Debt: Results from the Kaiser Family Foundation/New York Times Medical Bills Survey
This Kaiser Family Foundation/New York Times survey provides an in-depth look at the experiences of Americans ages 18-64 who say they or someone in their household had problems paying medical bills in the past year. The survey explores the causes of medical bill problems and the impacts they have on individuals and their families, finances, and access to health care. To provide context, a shorter companion survey was conducted among those who do not report having medical bill problems.
Read The New York Times Coverage
- Lost Jobs, Houses, Savings: Even Insured Often Face Crushing Medical Debt
- Slideshow: The Weight of Medical Bills
- ‘I Am Drowning.’ The Voices of People With Medical Debt
- How the Poll on Medical Bills was Conducted
- New Online Polling Experiment for the Post-Landline Phone Era